As we learn more about canine nutrition, more people have become interested in cooking at home for their dogs. You can find so many books about homemade dog food these days. They’re filled with examples of meeting your dog’s nutritional needs by cooking for him yourself. Many people also feel that the food you cook for your dog is of better quality than the food found in commercial dog foods, plus you have the satisfaction of knowing what the ingredients are and how they were prepared. As a bonus, in many cases it can also be a big money-saver to cook for your dog.
This urge to cook for their pets leaves many people longing for a good cookbook to help them prepare nutritionally balanced meals. Here are some of the best books for preparing and/or cooking homemade dog food:
- Food Pets Die For: Shocking Facts About Pet Food – Ann N. Martin
One of the most important books for pet owners. The author describes the pet food industry and offers recipes for cats and dogs.
- Dr. Pitcairn’s New Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats – Richard H. Pitcairn D.V.M., Susan Hubble Pitcairn
Considered a classic. This book was written by two veterinary specialists in chemical-free nutrition, treatment and natural healing for pets. The book actually covers much more than just nutrition, including the dog’s environment, exercise, and caring for a sick animal. This is a holistic approach to pet care.
- Home-Prepared Dog and Cat Diets: the Healthful Alternative – Donald R. Strombeck
Offers over 200 computer-balanced recipes. Contains nutrient content data for each recipe, including proteins, fats and calories. Gives nutritional guidance and describes special diets for pets who need them. Offers recipe categories to manage obesity and diseases which affect the gastrointestinal system, skin, kidneys and the pancreas.
- The Healthy Dog Cookbook: 50 Nutritious and Delicious Recipes Your Dog Will Love – Jonna Anne, Mary Straus, Shawn Messonnier
This book offers 50 nutritious recipes for your dog. There are menus for every size and type of dog, including dogs who have allergies and other problems. The book includes recipes for meals as well as snacks and treats. The recipe are generally easy and inexpensive. Written with the help of a canine nutritionist and consulting vet.
- Real Food for Dogs: 50 Vet-Approved Recipes to Please the Canine Gastronome – Arden Moore, Anne Davis
Here’s a fun dog food cookbook with illustrations. It includes full meals, treats, and even vegetarian meals and other recipes for special diets.
- The Natural Pet Food Cookbook: Healthful Recipes for Dogs and Cats – Wendy Nan Rees, Kevin Schlanger, Troy Cummings
Written after the pet food recalls of 2007, this book provides 50 vet-approved, pet-tested recipes ranging from basic kibble to casseroles and stews. It discusses cooking techniques, food selection and more. It provides information on storing and freezing homemade pet foods. The author also gives information about the nutritional requirements of cats and dogs and discusses potentially harmful foods.
- Three Dog Bakery Cookbook: Over 50 Recipes for All-Natural Treats for Your Dog – Mark Beckloff, Dan Dye
The top-selling pet cookbook on Amazon.com. The Three Dog Bakery is famous for its cookies and treats and your pet will probably love them, too. Not a complete cookbook but the treat recipes are excellent.
- Barf Diet: For Cats and Dogs – Ian Billinghurst
This may not be the the only book you’ll need on the RAW diet for dogs, but it’s essential reading if you are thinking of feeding your dogs raw. Dr. Billinghurst covers everything. People who feed a RAW diet to their dogs have been using this book for years to help them feed their dogs a healthy diet, along with Give Your Dog a Bone, also by Dr. Billinghurst.